Tuesday, August 18, 2009

A Letter From Beth?

Aside from possibly being sappy and old, what do the following songs have in common?

Linda Ronstadt – Winter Light
Jackson Browne – Doctor My Eyes
Carole King – (You Make Me Feel Like) A Natural Woman
Seals & Crofts – Summer Breeze (Album Version)
Firefall – You Are the Woman
Emmylou Harris – May This Be Love
Emmylou Harris – Goodbye
Faith Hill – Breathe
Orleans – Dance With Me
Carly Simon – When You Close Your Eyes
Judy Collins – Song For Sarajevo
Firefall – Just Remember I Love You
Jennifer Warnes – Coming Back to You
k.d. lang – Get Some
Nanci Griffith – Late Night Grande Hotel
Melissa Manchester – My Christmas Song For You
Crystal Gayle – Don't It Make My Brown Eyes Blue
Nicolette Larson – Lotta Love (LP Version)
Maria Muldaur – Three Dollar Bill
Alison Krauss – Down To The River To Pray
Jackson Browne – Ready Or Not

That is a partial song list from my Last.FM stream last night. I say partial, because somehow a few of songs got accidentally truncated while listening, and Last.FM won't keep a record of it up until the 10 seconds left mark. So I think there were three or four songs that got left off of the list. And there isn't any way I'll ever remember them. It seemed as if Beth had setup this play list just for me (for the most part). Some of these song, I would have never sought out to listen to on my own. Some of these songs are from artist Beth new I really enjoyed. A funny thing about this list, is that the artist's "Radio Station" that I requested was for Linda Ronstadt. But there was only one of her songs in the sequence. Beth was a bit jealous of my fondness for Linda's voice. I used to tease Beth about her singing ability, as she never seemed to demonstrate the expertise that she claimed to have. I, on the other hand, only pretend to sing. I enjoy pretending to sing. I know I don't have a very good voice and even less control of it, most of the time. I don't mind, I "sing" anyway.

Anyway, I think Beth had something to do with me hearing these songs. It seems there was a message here, or at least, it did last night. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. (I'd post the lyrics, but that would be violating some stupid copyright laws).

No comments: